Thought I’d share with you my favourite recipe for Pan De Sal. It may take a few shots at it before you get it right but I assure you the hard work is worth it! Yum!
Pan De Sal
1. Stir yeast in lukewarm water with sugar added. Prove in a dark oven for 5-7 minutes.
2. In a bowl, mix together sugar, salt and shortening. Add yeast mixture.
3. Gradually add flour and continue mixing until dough ceases to stick on the side of the bowl.
4. Transfer dough on a slightly floured surface; knead 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Form into a ball and place in a slightly greased bowl. Brush surface of dough with oil, cover with a damp cloth or cling film. Let rise in a warm place for 1 to 1 ½ hours or until it doubles in size.
5. Punch down air. Roll out onto a floured surface. Cut into 1½” diameter long rolls.
6. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Let rise for another 15 minutes.
7. Cut into 1½” thick pieces.
8. Arrange on a slightly greased baking tray, cut side up and placed one size apart.
9. Sprinkle with more breadcrumbs. Let rise for another 30 minutes or until doubles again in size.
10. Place in a preheated oven 220C. Reduce heat to 190C. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until pale brown.