I found this piece of paper on our doorstep this morning when I picked up our newspaper. So here’s how to spot a real hoax. (I’m not even gonna bother checking with SP Powergrid whether this is for real.)
1. The letter should come in the mail in an envelope with the window usually showing the recipient’s name and address. Not typed like a flyer and chucked at your doorstep, hoping the dog (if I had one) will not eat it for breakfast.
2. Singapore is a multi-racial country. Yup, these kind of notices usually come in four languages–English, Tamil, Malay and Mandarin.
3. Gas Meter Replacement Programme? That’s major work! Think about it.
4. I like the name of this company: “We act for PowerGas Ltd.” Who haven’t heard of them? They’re famous!
5. Compare the flyer with a previous official letter from the same company and it will usually have this number: Our Ref:123456789 which makes it…well, official.
6. Last but not least: TRUST YOUR INSTINCT.
If I forgot any other discrepancies, please let others know. You may just save someone some pain. Or even their life.
Oh and by the way, I am bringing awareness. Bye! Have a great weekend!